For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, December 16, 2007

When I look at my stats it seems I get visits from everywhere imaginable. I am really grateful to everyone who takes the time to read my blog, but I am also confused. Why no comments? Even if you just said hi, I am sure this blogging experience can only get better if we have a little info about the people who like the things we do. I really would like to get to know all of you so don't be shy, say hello!




I have a treat for you today. I received this from my blogging friend Gunnel. If you are anything like me it will definitely put you in a christmas mood and make you want to book flights immediately!! (make sure you have your speakers on for the full experience!)

My embroidery at the moment consists of things I am making as gifts. That means I can't post much on here but I can show you a few close ups. I am doing a lot of cutwork and combining it with vintage cloth so here are a few variations for you to have a look at.

5 comments:

jill said...

Your work is stunning and so is Gothenberg, thanks for letting me see it, will have to pay a visit next December

Kaija said...

Hi!

I'm the kind of person who usually admires things from distance. There's something so stunning about your skills that most of the time I just don't know what to say. And then there's the language thing... sometimes my brain simply refuses to function in English (and Finnish). I start writing a comment and get stuck with some word or expression and feel unable to get over it. I give up. Blah.

Sometimes it is easier to write email, so other people wont see how much I suck in English at the moment :)

But my main reason on not commenting much (anywhere) is that I'm so astonished by the wonderful creations in the blog that I'm left speechless.

Ever since I got Sitemeter on my blog I've been much more motivated. Knowing that people do read my blog, and come back for more, is a relief. People are shy, or just don't have anything they consider worth saying. Sitemeter helps me remind myself that the readers are somewhere in there. (No, I don't work for Sitemeter, I just think it's fun.)

Good night! It's way past my bedtime :)

Anonymous said...

My dog woke me up early this morning so I decided to take advantage of the quiet and check in to see what you've been up to....amazing! After seeing everything you've created I am now inspired to CLEAN my workroom....so I can get to creating! Thanks Karen - love your blog and good luck with the crafts guild! Merry Christmas! Nan

Needles said...

We're shy?

You do such lovely work. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and I love the delicacy your work shows.

azuldeponiente said...

me resulta imposible expresar -en inglés - lo que su arte me inspira y me consuela. Es una conjunción magistral entre técnica y arte, imaginación. Bello.