For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, August 28, 2026

Framed

 

 

Three small stitched studies, surface design pieces from this recent design exploration collection.

 

 These pieces have been mounted in simple box frames without glass.

I now have a hankering to do the same with the larger piece in the image above. 

(top left) 

 


 

1 comment:

Jillayne said...

Wow - framing certainly changes things -I love these! It's interesting to me how edges and frames make such a difference to a piece of work, something I often forget to consider.