For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, April 4, 2016

pages





These little books are filling up gradually...there's no rush, a few pages here and there as I get time. Well I say no rush, next week actually, around ten days left to make sure each one is crammed. It may be that next week I will need to make space for a ''book afternoon'', finishing these, adding more snippets of cloth and doodled paper. I plan on painting some paper scraps this afternoon to be added to these.  I will be taking an hour out from this and making little marks, floral marks with watercolour paint onto a blue speckled background. You will get to see my efforts when those little scraps of painted paper appear on these pages....
Stitching a story. New class. Read more here.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.SdPzd89l.dpuf

No comments: