For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, November 30, 2015

with added applique






Applique, little motifs which remind me of lollipops. I made quite good progress with this last night, the lace is now edged with buttonhole, there are lollipops, wrapped threads, a few more web stitches and a little more chain stitch. The next step will be hexagons I think...... later this week. I may need to rein myself in a  little soon. I am getting carried away with playing for the new class and if I get too far ahead I will run out of steam before we even start.
The current class finishes very soon. This week we are on fastenings so I'm going to immerse myself in those. It takes me back to these....and that's a lovely place to be. 


- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.2q5Vuq9i.dpuf

No comments: