For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, November 19, 2011

easy embroidery.....




I have a real and burning desire to spend time on intense embroidery. I missed it whilst I was away but so far this week haven't been able to plan or focus. I have had the usual post holiday stuff to do and some hospital visiting too, the need for which arose whilst I was away. I see Monday as my focus for ''normality'' returning. It's kind of a plan, it may change but hopefully not. In the meantime, when I haven't been dozing in the chair through some kind of enforced Narcolepsy I have been taking care of the slow, easy, no thought required things. Tacking and pinning, new white pieces being formed along with little ball buttons.
A good example of my current sleep state is that I sat down last night at around 8.55 to stitch slowly and gently, the next thing I knew it was 10.45........you get the picture. I have however managed to put a new blog and flickr group together for the class that starts next week. Registration and interest is great...thanks so much to all of you, I am humble....and if you would like more information you can find it here.....otherwise today will be hospital visiting and if I can stay awake, more embroidery, embroidery of the gentle kind.

8 comments:

connie said...

I am glad you are back. I missed reading your blog! I hope you get rested up and have a lovely weekend. Not much stitching going on here either, Getting ready for family next week. :-)

barbara l. hale said...

I hope everything is well on your hospital visits. Sounds like you are still suffering a bit of jet lag. Understandable. Love the fabric in the shots you posted today.

Flaming Nora said...

Some times gentle is all I can muster too and I haven't been globe trotting.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get your life back sometime soon, but jetlag just takes as long as it takes to recover from, and having life pile on top makes it take longer.

Tammie Lee said...

wishing you a monday that feels wonderful to you!

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Love the embroidery you posted on Friday. Yes, I did miss you - hope you had a wonderful time in Vegas. You ARE still having the class in January, right?? Try to get some extra sleep this week and be gentle with yourself, Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Karen, I so wish I had time to take your class. In the meantime, I hope it's ok if I just visit and dream...

Everything is so exquisite! I love the white-on-white in your post below.

Welcome back. Sorry you have hospital visits.

XO Diane

Tatkis said...

It looks adorable - combination of white and flowers!

Hugs,
Tatyana