For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, October 3, 2011

hoops and another online course....




Oh my...so many pieces on the go and there are rouleau loops strewn from one end of the room to the other aswell! All quiet then? Don't think so...I am on a mission to finish, back and titivate Helens cloth before the end of the week. Mustn't let my girls down....I have to do mine to show them how to do theirs if you know what I mean...These REALLY ARE the final two pieces for this cloth. I look, I want more, I make more...I'VE GOT TO STOP!!
Another reason I have to stop is that I have another class starting next Monday. In case it passed you by, been in that cupboard again have you? Lots and lots of information and details of how to register can be found here. I want to reiterate (and that's a big word for a Monday morning fuelled by sleep deprivation), again, I want to REITERATE...because I have been asked, honestly I have. This class will be posted over three weeks...BUT....all the resources will be available to you until December 24. So you can go at your own pace, no rush, take your time. It can also be accessed from anywhere in the world although I can't vouch for coverage in a cave for example. Phew, I think that's all the reiterating done for a day. What with titivating and reiterating I'm not quite sure what day it is!
So it's back to the hoops and the loops for me....what a lovely way to spend a day.....
and I almost forgot......Is that tatting I have there? The edge of an old hanky....please tell.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is tatting and a lovely little piece.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Always a visual pleasure to stop by your blog. Your buttons tickled my fancy. Liked your video. There's something about having the voice and the explanation that adds dimension to the piece. I would agree with one of the comments, however, that if you can get better lighting, it would help. The white on white is a difficult subject to film and the beauty of your work is in the details. Looking forward to more videos!
best, nadia

Suztats said...

It certainly looks like a lovely piece of tatting, Karen. Love this!

deanna7trees said...

yes, tatting. I've been trying to find all the pieces I've tatted through the years to add to my cloth but they are hiding someplace here and have not yet been found. My hoop has been getting lots of use these days and need to shop for a real tiny one that will come in handy for the puffs. I'm unable to work as quickly as you do but I'm getting there.

connie said...

Lovely piece Karen, I just love the look of tatting and it is beautiful in your piece!

Joanna said...

Yup no denying its tatting. That is also one of the things my Granny showed me to do. Not done much but at least I know I can do it.

barbara l. hale said...

Love those prairie points. Well, I love it all. And those buttons from the other day...well, fantastic!

Sheeprustler said...

Tatting is sweet. I actually learnt how to do it once, and produced a really pretty bookmark. I must try it again, it makes perfect embellishing bits.

Jane S. said...

Yes, that is a pretty little strip of tatting! Very nice addition to your piece.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I have been gone for 2 weeks and look at all that I have missed! I am starting a class next week. I will be sure to be in your class, that starts in January!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Yes, and a particularly dainty piece of tatting at that. Did you know that tatting used to be called "frivolité"?

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Yes, it is beautiful tatting! I think I have mentioned that I took a tatting class once and it nearly drove me mad!! Love the buttons too! Love, Linda

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Titivating and reiterating? Oh dear, too high-falutin' for the likes of moi. My mother used to shuttle tat but had no patience to begin to teach me the basics. I tried needle tatting and then promptly forgot all I'd learned.