For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday afternoon post again and no I am not going out for another meal, no such luck. I have just got to take my chances while I can. Chaos has descended chez moi, workmen on the way, furniture in all the wrong places, piles of ''stuff'' everywhere. My visitors came and went, had a lovely day, well I think they had a lovely day. Buffet at lunch time, massive roast dinner in the evening, chicken and pork with all the trimmings. Honestly it was like christmas without the presents. They had been gone no more than five minutes, full to bursting and guess what???? I found 12 yorkshire puddings in the oven! So I rang them and asked them to come back and eat them, they declined. Some hostess I am, you've either got this domestic goddess thing or you haven't.
Good news though, my threads arrived yesterday and the commission is now finished. In the meantime I have been working on the swaddling band for Sparkle. Now I am stuck without that thread and all I have managed so far is to join a few measley hexagons. This needs to be 120 inches long, ha, I wish!



I have started another piece of work and the wrapping cloth is coming along really well but in all honesty I can't tell you when I will be back. It is really in such a state here that I have nowhere to damp stretch or take photos. Embroidery will definitely continue because I would go totally insane without it.
Now something for you to think about, especially the mothers among you, my son has just left the house in order to be strapped into a huge ball and rolled down a huge hill! Wish me luck with my sanity!

12 comments:

connie said...

You have been a busy woman. I am forever forgetting part of a dinner when I have guests so you are not alone. I think with me it is the wine. HEHE. Your pieces look lovely!

OK about the ball thing you son has gone to do. I think that looks like such fun. I have only seen it on TV. Did he have a good time?

Ingrid said...

sounds like me with dinner!
o my what is that your son is doing?hope he is home and well,
lovely embroidery as always!

Gina said...

I hope your son has survived his experience unscathed and has enjoyed himself. I only found out that Joe had done a bungee jump after the event, thank goodness.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Beautiful work as usual =-)
Dinners with guests are always stressful for me...I rarely have anyone to my house...*Always* afraid things will turn upside down and inside out. LOL....
Now about rolling down a hill in a ball.... What???

Jackie said...

Now I see how busy you are.
I'll forgive you!
(OOH your verification word is flatic. Very descriptive)

Dolores said...

Huh, sounds like something my younger son did when he was in Australia - or was it New Zealand? Anyway I didn't know about it beforehand so I couldn't worry. (what is it with the male species?) However, I do and did worry when both my sons went skydiving! And then I heard my youngest daughter went! Not a good thing to hear for a mom. Glad you got some of your threads. Too bad about the yorkshire pudding. I guess your company were too full.

Jane said...

My mum was always finding food she had forgotten to serve after visitors had gone. The worse one was forgetting to put the oven on,so when we came back to the house there was no comforting smell of dinner. We had to have take away!
Sounds like the sort of thing my boys would do

jennyflowerblue said...

I feel your pain- would it help any if I ate the puds?

Victoria said...

I am the daughter of a domestic goddess, yet the talent is not one I possess.... the fact that you even made the puddings impresses me!

As for your son rolling down the hill.... what a hoot... I wish him safe travels!

JP said...

we have all done it - my usual is leaving some sort of veg in the microwave!!!!!!!!
lovely work - just soooooooo white

Jacky said...

Beautiful hexagons...you are a wonder Karen...embroidery, entertaining and having renovations done!!!

Jacky xox

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Karen, Your hexagon are lovely. I always look forward to seeing what you create next. Hugs Judy