For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chaos

I'm afraid there isn't much embroidery to show you today. Chaos has descended on the Ruane household in the form of me doing today what I should have been doing last weekend! Beds have been moved, rubbish collected and treasures discovered (more of that later). This has resulted in the only free space available being the dining table, which only remains free until we need to eat! I am sewing, boy am I sewing, could get a gold medal in it, but I am so very disorganised and upside down at the moment that I haven't the heart to ready it all for photographs. So this is how my table looked this morning, all my precious things safe from the removals and dust. There is one thing here that is so special, my little blue book. This is the most lovely book I have ever owned. I love the colour, the stitches, the buttons and it even has it's own little bag to keep it safe.
We had so much light today, perhaps too much looking at these shadows and I really wanted to get good pictures of this because it is so gorgeous. It's a belated christmas gift from Kaija, and I am going to shamelessly plug her shop, why? because I can and because I want to. You too could have one of these, just look here!



Now back to that treasure I found, right at the back under the bed, a sketchbook I had forgotten about. When I use the word sketchbook I use it VERY loosely. Most of my sketchbooks never saw a pencil or paint brush only stitching. This one was for a project (Uni 2004 approx) about altering surfaces. The first two pics are hessian with a little weaving and a lot of machine stitching with a tailor tacking foot.




Below....same sketchbook, different plan. I had totally forgotten about this and am so happy to have found it. It makes me wonder again about how we choose a certain path and what would happen if we'd had a different thought that day. What would this little sample have become if I had taken it further??? I wish I had the time to find out, maybe one day. Pins on paper....


and a little sketch of fabric weave.
Right, must go, more chaos to create, have a fantastic weekend!

14 comments:

MargB said...

Discovering forgotten treasures is always fun. The blue book is lovely.

Diane Cransac said...

I remember, when I was younger, I used to love pins in paper...marching across the page. I had several sheets of them. I dont remember where I got them from. I also remember one bored day spent playing with my then MIL's pincushion. She had many an odd assortment of pins on this huge rectangle of a cushion. I made pattern after pattern all around the edges and wrote in the middle, doing it all with the pin heads. I saw that same cushion years later...it was still just as I had left it...

Jane said...

What a treasure to find, the hessian looks really interesting. I found a sketch book the other day. I can't remember two of the sketches I put in there, but I do know I have more idea how to stitch them now than I did then

gunnelsvensson said...

Beutiful little book and so fun to read about your chaos ;-)
I found a scrapbook here that I beginn with for over 10 years ago, very beautiful, with fabricscover and beautiful images in that I haved glued and I does this book for inspiration for my self. And I had forgotten it ??! And I still think it´s good ! So now I will continue with it, this is many pages left to do.

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

I love your book - and your chaos, which is far more interesting than mine!
Connie.

Ulla said...

Chaos is good when it helps you find treasures!
I immediately recognized the little blue book to be made by my amazing daughter.
Isn't it great to find your old sketches and see that you have talent?

Kaija said...

You're the sweetest.

Gina said...

Isn't it wonderful when you find long forgetten things.Best wishes through all your chaos. I'm trying to reorganise/tidy/clean my sewing room today but I'm making slow progress.

Ulla said...

It's me back again. I have given you an award, with no obligations. You can come and get it from my blog.

Jackie said...

Did you ever see 'Dancer in the Dark' ?
Bjork played a character who worked at home putting pins onto their paper cards for selling!
Lovely post. Hope the room is coming on.

Victoria said...

That is one cool "sketchbook"! I would love to see more! (And your chaos looks beautiful!)

Jacky said...

The little blue book is perfect...what a gorgeous colour.

Loving your "sketchbooks" and I hate to tell you my table looks like that most of the time this past week...too hot to work anywhere else in the house in this heatwave!

Gayle said...

Such a wonderful little blue button book!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Karen you've been tagged to reveal the sixth photograph in your sixth folder. I hope you'll play along the rules are on my blog.
Thank-you for the response on swaddling cloths I read about them, very interesting