For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, November 9, 2008

Glorious damp stretching!

As you can see from the first two pictures, the love affair with damp stretching continues! You know, I think this has to be my favourite process in the entire cycle of creating with stitch and if you have never tried it I recommend it, you will also be hooked! I have a real sense of achievement getting to this point with swaddling band one. Now I am thinking about the lining, the inside, before I put all these pieces together.

I do have a concern though. With the main fabric piece being linen you can crease it just by looking at it! So, how am I going to pin, tack, machine stitch and construct the finished piece without it looking like a dogs dinner? I am not looking forward to crossing that bridge. The running stitch lines incidently were sewn using the thread from my stash, I was very restrained and didn't buy any more. There is a small glimpse lower down of how the appliqued piece looks next to the patchwork section, what do you think?




















Amongst other things going on chez moi, like ironing, cooking, cleaning etc, there was a request from a customer which led to me gathering all my vintage scraps together to photograph. I love how they look but I also realise that my stocks are low, more shopping required!






















Now a plea for information......I want to turn my blog into a book. Unfortunately Blurb does not support Blogger. I have looked for other companys but they seem really expensive so two questions,
Does anyone have another site I could try? and if not,
Is it possible to transport your blog lock stock and barrel to another host, including archives and everything?? I would be grateful for any tips, hints, advice etc etc.
Oh, and another request, does anyone know where I can get some really funky gift tags for christmas. I have trawled etsy and dwanda, I like dangly things, bells maybe, or plain but very unusual.
Finally......yes really......have a great week and GINA I haven't forgotten, honest!!!!








15 comments:

Gina said...

I'm loving all these picture Karen - your work is so beautiful. I would love to put my blog into a book too so will be interested to see any responses.

Anonymous said...

great embroidery as always. I dont know about blurb, but i know you can transfer your blog and archives to wordpress fairly easily.

Victoria said...

The red flowers and stitching on the neutral linen is so, so pretty!!

Sorry I can not be of any help with the blog to book question, but I think you should definitely write a book on your artwork!

Ulla said...

Damp stretching miracle has happened again. I love the new look.

gunnelsvensson said...

Karen I love these red stitchin gon teh linen! very beautiful!

Jane said...

It's all coming together nicely, the raised petals are lovely

Gill said...

Hi Karen, found you via Sue K,
I also wanted to do more with my blog than blogger would allow - in particular,I felt anxious that it all might disappear one day and there seemed to be no way of backing it all up. I switched to a Squarespace blog following loads of recommendations and feel very happy indeed.

Far more reliable, very powerful and none of the old "Blogger doesn't want to play" when uploading photographs.
I transferred my old blog from blogger in about three minutes flat and am very pleased with my decision.
(no affiliation with Squarespace btw!)

méri said...

Lovely work!
I love rute reimão tags take a look
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reimao/sets/

You find her e-mail in the profile. I think she is a great designer and illustrator and unusual as you asked

jude said...

as usual your work is delicious. as far as linen goes, i find if i wash it a few times and use softener in wash and dry process it creases less. i have always noticed slightly worn linen works better.
blurb doesn't work well anyway i have heard. i have begun to archive my blog post by post in document format. it was a lot of work because i started late but it is easy if you do it s you go. i like that it is mine and i feel safer that way.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Wonderful work Karen,I do like the open weave with the red stitched line.So beautiful against the flat linen.
I always find the different contrasts in your work so exciting.x

Camilla said...

ah! look at me making a comment! I don't know for sure about blogger, but I do know that friends have published books on lulu with some success. Interesting idea- I forget how transient the internet is really- I have so much stored in cyber space and so little backed up at home.

Camilla said...

http://www.lulu.com/content/1218370

http://www.ihanna.nu/blog/?p=584

some more info for you- seems like she edited it all in word, so might not be at all what you are looking for

Camilla said...

ok- I probably should've just emailed you instead as this will end up seeming like i'm spamming you- but I found this website and it looks like it could be useful:

http://blooking.blogspot.com/search?label=transformation

Jacky said...

Now that is food for thought...I had never thought of losing all my blog posts...archiving in document format sounds interesting.
will be interested to see what you think after reading all your options Karen.
I love the look of your blocks with the natural linen and the red and white gingham petals.
I was surprised today with a lovely package from a girlfriend sharing some beautiful old embroidered doileys that are past their use by date for me to have a play around with. I have taken some photos which I will share on my blog next post.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I found your blog today via advice from Jacky at art4moi. Wow! I had a little time to read several posts and love what you are doing. I especially love that you recycle vintage embroidery and embroider words on your work....I will be checking your blog at the next opportunity and know I will enjoy it. Great work! Pat