For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, May 9, 2008

Inspired!

I found this sample the other day whilst I was scavaging around in my very untidy spare bedroom, very untidy because all my stuff gets put in there out of the way. I always have the best of intentions to tidy it, sort it out, even make the bed accessible.....I always fail miserably, it's a tip! Oh, the longing for a tidy, organised workroom! Anyway, I made this sample for part of my degree course. It made me realise how long I have been using this floral pattern in my work. This is a photo of the sample that I already had on my computer, again taken for my degree course, no doubt by a professional at the university, it is such a good quality image that it can't be one of mine. There are prairie points at the edge constructed with vintage cloth, can you see the pattern in there? That explains where the flower I always use came from.


For my next cloth I am going to build on this sample. I washed and ironed these old cloths, the flower is there again see? And have decided on applique petals, similar to the mini cloth in the shop, with text on cotton tape applied on top of the applique. I think I will also add colour to the surface embroidery, which will be a big change for me as I work with white so much. It's quite scary actually!!




I have got as far as cutting out my petals, there is a long way still to go. More pics at the weekend hopefully. I intend to stitch my fingers to the bone!


Have a lovely weekend and don't forget the sale in the shop until may 14th. xx

3 comments:

Victoria said...

This is so exciting! I love your process!

Ulla said...

This looks great, it is still "you" and yet something different.

Gayle said...

I can't wait to see what you do with these. I love your work.