For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, December 1, 2015

a quick doodle


Gloom sums everything up at the moment weather wise....days and days of rain and dark, no light, no respite. What to do? A quick doodle, to be continued tomorrow.....




Begins Monday January 4 2016.
(this is not a repeat of my last online ''pockets'' class. Whilst some processes will be the same I aim to create pockets in different forms from those produced during that 12 week programme.)
Duration 12 weeks.
**you do not need to have participated in any of my previous online learning programmes in order to participate in ''patched pockets.''***
No prerequisites. Suitable for the beginner and the more experienced stitcher.
Be a fly on my wall for 12 weeks. Observe my creative process, learn from my successes and my mistakes as I sample, as I construct pockets from patches of cloth, snippets of hankies and decorative trims along with other found cloth both new and vintage.
During the course of these 12 weeks it is my aim to considerably advance embroidery and construction on my ongoing embroidered piece which I call ''the body bag''. One video per week will be devoted to the development of that piece.
In addition to this I hope to create a series of pockets in various sizes using handkerchiefs, new cloth and vintage cloth. Fabric surfaces will be manipulated and embellished using hand embroidery and fabric manipulation techniques. These techniques will include pin tucking, patchwork, pleating and ruching. Hand embroidery stitches will be used to embellish surfaces with each stitch being clearly demonstrated.

There will be a minimum of four videos per week, (approximate minimum 1 1/2 hours viewing time) which will be hosted on a private password protected blog.
In addition to our private blog you will be given access to a private Flickr group where you will be able to interact with other members of the group, upload images of your work, receive feedback, give feedback, share technique, hints, tips.....
Previous online learning programmes I have hosted have resulted in the formation of a tightly knit group of like minded people who share the creative process in a relaxed and informal atmosphere. It's almost as if groups ''hold hands'' throughout. For me, this is one of the most appealing and rewarding aspects of these classes.
(I am also aware that some people prefer to work quietly with minimal interaction. That is OK too.)
There are no deadlines, no set tasks. You are under no obligation to create what I am creating. Many people in previous classes have merely taken notes in order to apply ideas to their own work. Please take as much or as little as you wish from this programme, tailor my demonstrations to suit your own creative needs.
Access to all resources is permanent.....forever.....
Please allow 24 hours from registration to receipt of welcome e mail which includes a list of suggested equipment.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.7pJGVB3W.dpuf

No comments: