For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, June 21, 2009

Predictable?

Oh my....this blog is becoming so predictable. I noticed today that I seem to always post on a wednesday and a sunday, wednesday, sunday and on and on and on...... Infact the fact that I only realised today says a lot don't you think? Therapist anyone? Then I realised that the same appears to be happening to my work. These little brooches are for the ''makey do'' and look, I have used some of the silver purl that I am using in my secretive project. A sign of a distinct lack of imagination or a sign of learning from a process, taking it further? My money is on the lack of imagination, panic at not having made anything for the fair for so long, panic at the time I am devoting to the other thing, the thing that's taking over my life. Anyway Jenny, look, I am trying to make, honest! Two little brooches,
and the embroidery I showed you a while back turned into another three pincushions. The minimalist stall has hope of becoming a ''middle ist'' stall.



Back to the secret thingy, thanks so much for all you comments here and on flickr. It truly is taking over my life but should be finished with, for now, within a week. I am beginning to wish I hadn't shown any of it here, or said anything because I am conscious of you all waiting to hear and I am not entirely sure when I can spill the beans yet. Thing is though, if I hadn't shown it here, or mentioned it there wouldn't have been any posts, nothing to post about. So I'm sorry, you will have to hang in there a bit longer and possibly have to look at more of it in the week because it's all I've got.
I do have a link for you though. Camilla of Made by Milla has done a great article for the Storque on etsy. When I started blogging Camilla was one of the first people to comment here and has been incredibly supportive so check out her piece here.
See you all in the week.....hopefully not wednesday!

14 comments:

marie said...

Beautiful brooches! You are busy so don't be hard on yourself about how often you post. When you do post your beautiful embroidery it is really a treat! : )
I am patiently waiting to hear about your secret project..no rush.

Katy Swift said...

The brooches are great. The second one is my favourtie. Are the pincushions funtional as well or decorative? They seem too gorgeous to use.

As for the secretive project. Don't worry. You know we're only teasing. It is hard when you're doing something that you feel you have to share but that you can't say too much about. I just love looking at your work.

Tammie Lee said...

each and every piece is wonderful and overflowing with
refreshing charm!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

It all sounds very exciting!
I love the pin cushions Karen.x

Diane Cransac said...

THese are just gorgeous Karen! Sorry I havent been by your blog in awhile. I have been meeting myself coming and going! This floss thing has sorta taken over my life and I havent read ANY blogs in over a week. I LOVE what you are going with the silver. Such a sweet touch :)

Jane said...

The silver goes really well with the the colours you have used on these brooches, an excellent addition

Gina said...

The brooches are beautiful Karen.

meplusmolly said...

It's all beautiful!
And I am sure that the secret project you're working on is well worth waiting for, so no worries there!
be seeing you soonish at the 'Do', don't worry about you're stall either I've still quite a bit of work to do as well! nothing new there for me, hehe ;0 X

Victoria said...

You are not predictable, just dependable... and that's a nice thing!
The silver bits you are adding look great!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I worked out ages ago that you blog on Wednesday and Sunday! And as Victoria says above, that's not 'predictable' in a bad sense, but yes, 'dependable' and it works for you and your 'other' life! I know to come over here twice a week! I love the little brooches, especially the one with pale flowers.
Janice.

jennyflowerblue said...

The only predictable thing is that it's gorgeous!! I am loving the subtle 'bling'

Elizabeth said...

Hej Karen,

Love the first brooch best. The white and silver work so well together. The pincushions are too beautiful to be used. I'm waiting patiently because embroidery is NOT a fastforward thing.

See you wednesday.

BPOTW said...

Isn't it funny how we are creatures of habit without really noticing!!
You have some exquisite work! It's so pretty.

Gayle said...

The brooches are exquisite!!!