For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Flowers (and cushions) everywhere!

Thanks so much for all the great comments here and on FLICKR about my cushions. I really do appreciate them and yay!!! I sold one of the first two I made on saturday! In honour of that occasion and to keep my cushion numbers consistent and also (the main reason) because I just love making them here is another one!! This one is rectangular with a pocket closure (like a pillow case), and is also in the shop.
For all my good intentions, work seems to have taken over somewhat since I went back yesterday. I know it's only day two after the holidays but I am so exhausted. By the time I get home, sort out the meal, clear away the dishes, it's 7pm and I have very little time for embroidery. I suppose I get spoilt in the holidays just picking it up as I please but it's mightily frustrating not being able to embroider whenever I get the urge, which as you can imagine is every minute!




I am working on cushion number four, very slowly but working all the same. I am going to try and add another dimension to this one, hopefully give it something of an edge, something that makes it stand out from your normal every day cushion.
The book, well the book is still a big part of my plan for the coming weeks. My problem is spending time on the computer when I could be sewing. I am in need of more discipline I think, set aside time for computers and time for embroidery. Having said that I did manage to create and order some new business cards on sunday, they should be here soon fingers crossed. I also decided to sell these, so they have been seperated and listed in the shop. They would only have lived in a drawer for the rest of their lives so why not.
Have a great week, I am off to embroider before bedtime!

10 comments:

jude said...

hi karen! everything you are doing lately has a wonderful freshness. i am just catching up on my blog reading....i have been lazy about that. i love the eyelet flowers...like new moon flowers. love them.

Chrisy said...

Have just discovered your work...how inspiring...those wrapping cloths are just exquisite works of art!

Katy Swift said...

Sounds like everything is going well - despite the tiredness! Balance is key as I have discovered. Hope you find some soon x

Jane said...

It's always the same, going back after a break. Look forward to seeing what cushion number four looks like

Cerejeira said...

Hi Karen!!!
Yes I understand how you feel. There is never enough hours in a day .Despite that you are doing brilliantly well! What a gift! You are trully an artist.

Art4Sol said...

Your new pillows are very sweet and so like spring. How do you keep your work soo clean? Good luck with the sales.

Flor Larios Art said...

I love everything you do. I just added your Etsy store to my favorities.
And this pillow is Spectacular!

ps.I invite you to visit my blog to look at my art... I am having an art box giveaway...hope to see you there!
Flor

Threadspider said...

It's so difficult finding time to do all the things you want to. Maybe embroider after work and book at the weekends?
The cushions have a lovely naive art quality to them.

Gina said...

Your new business cards are very smart Karen - do you mind me asking where you get them done and do you design your own artwork? (I'm rubbish on computers!)

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Cushions are lovely and spring like.
I know how you feel,I'm already exhausted too!