So, for my latest piece I have used a colourful vintage cloth as my starting point. I have decided to add surface embroidery in colours that match as closely as possible those in the old cloth.
After edging each applique petal with running stitch I am going to apply text to cotton tape and stitch this to the surface. Then I will add more surface embroidery on top of that, again in colours which match the vintage cloth. I am so far out of my comfort zone here that I may have sleepless nights. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Yesterday I finished the applique and edging the petals with running stitch, this panel is now damp stretching whilst I embroider text onto the cotton tape.