For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, March 22, 2008

I have completed the sample I was working on the other day, the one where I was pleating and folding then sewing the edges with running stitch. I had it in mind to gather it together as if it was going to be smocked, then to leave it tied, creating tight folds which would represent the private space I try to create in my cloths. I had made some edges thicker in order that they would be more obvious and emphasise the folding, allthough you can see them, they dont highlight these areas as well as I would like.




I now have another idea which will hopefully address this and will keep you posted.
In the meantime I managed to locate the thread I needed to finish my latest cloth. That is now embroidered and damp stretching as we speak. It still needs to have rouleau loops placed along the edge, be joined to the smocked panel and then backed, all before tuesday when I have to take it to the gallery. I spent all of last night making the rouleau loops,



and this is how my scissors responded to the heavy schedule I was putting them through!


I know how they feel!!

1 comment:

Ulla said...

Sorry about your scissors! I hope you are feeling better than they now.