For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, January 26, 2008

The retrieval of sanity!

Well I have had such a busy and stressful few days. Firstly, do you remember this? Well on thursday I attended my first ever commitee meeting. It went really well, I met some lovely people and got the flyers for my first exhibition. So far so good...well I got lost driving home, only 10 miles away but hey, if anyone can get lost it's me, no sense of direction you see, or stupid, you pick!


Yesterday things were looking up. I drove 70 miles down the motorway to watch these amazing young people perform. They were truly fantastic and I had such a good time.


This morning I treated my husband to one of these state of the art pieces of technology below. He works very hard and I don't begrudge him the zillions of pounds it costs, but I do begrudge the pc that won't accept new hardware, that crashes if you say hello to it and acts like adding new programmes is akin to self harm! As a consequence of this I spent 4..yes FOUR (I kid you not) hours on the phone to Apple support. Thankyou to the lovely lady in Athens and the nice gent in the north east of England for all your help. We are now up and running and I now know that Apple have three support centres for the U.K. One in Athens, one in Ireland and one in the North of England, apparently it is pot luck who answers your call first, thank goodness I was only charged at local rate.
So this evening I intend to retrieve that sanity which I lost in bucketfulls today. For a while now I have been toying with the idea of making broaches for the shop. I have bought these large buttons to play with putting broaches together and tonight I am going to sit back, relax and embroider covers for them.

And finally.............sorry I do rant on sometimes, I would like to give a massive shout out to Kaija for the interview she did with me. I know it has resulted in a lot more people visiting my blog, and if you are one of them please continue to visit me. Big, big thanks Kaija! It was truly the highlight of a crazy week. x

No comments: