For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, January 28, 2008

Cloth Standstill and Brooch Progress

Work on my latest cloth is at a bit of a standstill at the moment. I have ordered some more thread, the type I use to embroider my text, and it isn't here yet. Sometimes I can manage with odds and ends as long as it is a similar thickness and white, it doesn't need to be an exact match because I cut it up anyway. For this cloth though I intend to place a quote inside a fold or pocket that won't be cut up, so it can be read. Hence the thread needs to be consistent and match. Because of this I have been thinking a little bit about other things I could make. At Uni we were told to have small items, bread and butter items, as a way of bringing in a small amount of income. I have tried this in the past but it has mostly failed due to my lack of motivation making things that don't really challenge me in the way my cloths do.
Now that I am forced into a break from my cloths though I have been giving these small items more thought.
These are the beginnings of small brooches. I am not yet sure wether I will relaunch etsy yet, or try and sell them on the shop here. Any feedback or thoughts any of you have regarding etsy versus here would be immensley helpfull. I am quite pleased with how they look so far, I just need to sort out the backs.


















2 comments:

Ulla said...

You must in fact have very smooth and soft fingers by the look of your embroidery threads. Such shiny, loosely twisted threads would be like felted after passing through my hands!
The brooches are beautiful and the nice colours go with anything.

jill said...

I love these brooches and the star shapes, I can't believe I have forgotten the name of them. I will never be able to see you again for the shame of it. Anyway those shapes are so perfect and shimmery. I think these will go well