For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, October 13, 2007

I Think Your Dress is very Beautiful cMrs Eliot Books
Hi. Sorry I havn't posted for a couple of days but I have been trying to learn about blog 'etiquette'. I didn't know if you should ask permission before using someone elses image even if you ensure they are correctly credited. Well I think on reflection it is polite to ask anyway!! I can now post an image of something I covet and which is at the top of my christmas list! Mrs Eliot Books is an amazingly inspirational blog and her shop on etsy is tempting in the extreme! Here is my favourite book, 'I Think Your Dress is Very Beautiful'. Please check out her blog, a link to which is on the right hand side, or just click here, http://www.mrseliotbooks.blogspot.com/


For the next couple of days I intend to approach more amazingly talented people in order that I can create a regular 'things I covet' feature. I am also continuing to work on my 'reclaimed cloths'. A major difference with these pieces is that all the construction is already done, a massive timesaver. I remember making my 'wrapping cloths' for new designers and making the pieces up often took longer than the embellishment, so it is a strange feeling to complete things so much more quickly.

No comments: