For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, February 21, 2018

a pink fringe






I'm rapidly falling in love with this. It was supposed to be the top of a pin pillow which was started in my London workshop but I'm getting carried away. Who knows, it may still become a pin pillow but for now I'm enjoying encrusting it with off cuts of beaded silk before adding my own hand stitch and sequins.
I actually think it will be easier to care for long term if it does become a pin pillow. It will have substance and weight and won't get creased if it is placed on a shelf or a table. As a bag or a pocket there is so much more potential for creasing with use. Pin pillow it is then, I've talked myself into it.
I'm going to leave it for a couple of days now. I'm busy creating overlays for artist book class and also putting finishing touches to pages over there. Pages excite me.....they are also very easy to fall in love with.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Ooh, I do like the look of this - what gorgeous fragments you have there!