For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, August 20, 2016

36 x 25 inches







36 x 25 inches refers to the size my coverlet will be when this final strip is added. For the sake of cohesion and consistency I have continued with the applique/ cutwork theme here. The gimp on this section is edged with French knots, long clusters of white pink and green which mirror some seams across the whole piece. When I get round to attaching this strip to the main section there will be more little pockets just like the green and pink ones you might be able to pick out in these images. As for the reverse, the backing......my indecisive head is still arguing about that. I have nothing in my stash but am being tempted by a pale grey and white gingham I have found online. What do you think? and......look at all that temptation!!

No comments: