For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, May 2, 2016

two from France





Two of these little stitched and titivated artist books made it home with me from France. If you want one they are now in the shop.
It seems I am consumed with all things ''ledger'' at the moment. We are working with ledgers, books, illustrations in ''stitching a story'' and I have plans which excite me regarding ledgers in another form...same principle, different presentation, different approach. It's quite possible I will begin work on that idea later today.
To all of you amazing, wonderful, patient people who have stuck by me through my silence, my non response to e malls and comments through the hectic weeks leading up to France....thank you. I am hoping to make a start on replying to you all later today. If I don't get round to you today it will definitely happen this week. Thank you a million times over for your willingness to keep turning up when all you get in return is zero...zilch....it's appreciated and then some.
Finally...if you are registered for Stitching a Story you should have received sign in information etc this morning. If you didn't receive that will you please let me know.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.C3XMERcy.dpuf

No comments: