For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, May 13, 2016

stripes, silk, samples,








The latest ''in progress'' sample for my planned mini sample portfolios. This one has striped silk in shades of grey and off whites which I bought in London earlier this year. So far one seam is embellished with French knots and web stitches run the length of a strip of striped silk. When I laid this piece alongside the piece from yesterday it struck me how well they live together, it started me thinking about a bigger piece using this combination of cloth. I am resisting though, trying not to get distracted.
The main reason for my resistance is a plan I have to develop something which I have been working on for class, for ''stitching a  story....'' My girls don't even know yet but hopefully when it develops I can share a tiny glimpse of it on here for you. The girls get to hear about it on Sunday.....
(stitching a story girls......I may be able to post late Saturday afternoon. I will let you know :))

Simply Stitch 4 was re-listed as a work on your own class yesterday after a couple of requests.. You will find that here.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.lny5IhfR.dpuf

No comments: