For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, May 7, 2016

paper to compliment cloth











Still inspired by this body of design work I have moved temporarily to paper. Hopefully the paper compliments the cloth and vice versa. I'm going to have to be careful here  though. It occurred to me that I could easily, accidentally begin things here, (publicly) which should  be private for my class.
The difference though, which I hope will stop me from doing that....over in class we are using a children's book both to embellish and for inspiration. Here with these I am using early sampling and my head....... and will almost certainly be mounting these on a plain background.
I added cross stitch and some bullion loops to the cloth piece last night as well as titivating the paper piece. I can't see myself making anything 'usable' for the near future in terms of pockets etc. I am minded to mount all this work in a book, on sheets, make a big song and dance about them on pages. The only thing I can see ''wrong'' with that is the fact that I then probably will never want to part with them meaning there won't be anything new in the shop for around 50 years!
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.WJy2AUd6.dpuf

No comments: