For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, May 20, 2016

Embroidery, lace, Marimekko and thread














It's been a busy week...I resisted temptation in Paperchase. I would say that was my biggest achievement. New cabinets have been bought, white of course....they go on the wall next week. An expert will be doing it so they don't immediately collapse which is what would happen if we did it. I sorted out a cupboard, (second image) and if you can spot anything alcohol related in that image it has nothing to do with me. The red box, I bought that from a Graduate at a Degree show several years ago. It was part of her final collection of gift wrapping paraphernalia. The ceramic bowls in that image are extra special, hold  a lot of affection and good memories for me. I exhibited in London alongside the guy who made those several years ago. When I got home a parcel was waiting for me, those bowls, a gift from him. Since then he has become a superstar and was artist in residence at the V&A earlier this year....my claim to fame...he gifted me some of his work.
The cupboard with the untidy books...I still need to sort that out. I'm hoping to get a lot of things ''sorted out'' over the next couple of weeks. Famous last words I know but at least I have done one cabinet, that's further than I have ever gotten before. Finally, the last image....my post man making me happy....gifts...lace and pencils. Thank you. Marimekko pencils???? Who knew....
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.3HS4pElS.dpuf


No comments: