For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, May 6, 2016

a collection, show and tell



I flounder no more.....I am newly inspired......I kicked myself several times for not thinking to ponder this collection, this library of samples, this body of work which was created with my ''sampling for stitch'' class. There is so much information in here I shall never flounder again......this process was leading to the design of a bag,  a pocket. I have bags and pockets coming out of my ears so I have discarded that thought. In truth this collection of information could be applied to many things, pillows, pockets, wraps, blankets......
Last night I began a cloth based sample......this morning I have a new idea. I'm hoping to develop this work over the next few weeks...ledgers...pages......substantial mounted samples. All it took was five minutes in the company of pink gingham and I was off, there's no stopping me now.
More of this collection can be seen here,
and here,
and here,
and also on this short video.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.ZZbP6rvU.dpuf

No comments: