For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, April 13, 2016

beads and labels






I was worried last week that as I am focusing on getting ready for France and have also been consumed by making lace cloth that I wouldn't have anything to put on here to keep you interested. What didn't occur to me though was that I was still working, finishing things and those could be shown on here. So, last night I burnt a little midnight oil and completed two little artist books. ( I also put Suffolk puffs into little packets but I figure you don't want to see plastic packets every day) 
Back to the books. These two are completely finished, crammed with embroidered samples, scraps of painted paper, buttons, Suffolk puffs, graph paper, plain paper. One has dangly beads....I like those, I may do that to another one. They both have labels at one edge, (as do the other as yet unfinished three). There are three waiting to be finished....that's tonight's task. If you go here, to my Instagram there is a little video (16 seconds) which flips through one of these.
I am still quite a way from being ready to travel on Sunday. I had planned to make more lace cloth, white lace cloth but I doubt that will happen now, more buttons were planned too. It's OK though.....I can only do what I can do. I have reached the point now where I am content that I have done all I can....and will accept that it's enough.
Just a reminder too...I didn't make these little books. I bought them from here, a friend, who is more than happy for me to use them in this way.
And, as we are talking books.....''stitching a story'', my new class. Please take a look.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.dkA8D0D6.dpuf


No comments: