For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, March 2, 2016

the paper collection






A new piece of finished paperwork, that makes three up to now. Number four is already taking shape and number five is doodled on a scrap of paper ready to be brought to life. I don't have a favourite and if I had to choose.....well I wouldn't. I love the ironing board piece because...well...it's an ironing board which is pleasant to look at as opposed to being an instrument of torture. The new piece? I love the little black marks on that one and how they enhance the other areas of cloth and texture and it wouldn't take a genius to guess that the lace cloth on the third piece has me drooling...so favourite aspects maybe but no favourite piece. - See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.pjNe1MVF.dpuf


No comments: