For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, March 6, 2016

old books, old cloth








If you are on Facebook you will no doubt know that every day Facebook provides you with memories, things you posted in the past. Yesterday I was shown these, my memories for March 6. The shocking thing to me is that these were posted FIVE years ago. I had to share them. I honestly cannot believe that five years has gone by since these were made. 
The cloth, the wrapping cloth, I see that daily. It lives on my sofa and keeps my feet warm in the morning or of an evening...hence its name....my ''toe wrap''. The books are long gone, the hexagons, the pages.....do you have one of these? How has it survived over the past five years? I would love to know.
Five years.....I'm astounded.
If you are registered for ''reinventing the page'' which begins tomorrow you should have received an e mail from me this morning. If you haven't received that please let me know.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.sIM9GjBW.dpuf

No comments: