For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, March 23, 2016

cloth and pages








I'm putting together information for my next class at the moment and wrapped up in all that are pages, cloth samples, embroidered paper, inserting samples into pages......it helps to look back, to remind myself of the possibilities. I am at an advantage in so far as I already have my story book. (the next class will revolve around a story book...more information soon I promise) as I say, I already have my story book so know what to look for in terms of similarity of pattern and surfaces...not that I will be copying anything...I won't. Aside from that you wouldn't believe how excited I get looking back at old work. It's like seeing it for the first time all over again. - See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.1UaaaDw5.dpuf

No comments: