For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, March 28, 2016

Another one to finish










I was speaking about a piece which had been languishing in an ''unfinished'' pile from a couple of years ago in this post and this post. Today it's another one of those pieces, not forgotten, not unloved....merely ''unfinished''. I had forgotten just how many rouleau loops there are on this piece. It would be lovely to have some for one edge, as a finishing touch but I no longer have enough of this fabric for that...the thinking cap is on for an alternative edge titivation. I damp stretched this yesterday, trimming the edges and cutting off a couple of unneeded sections which didn't fit with the overall shape I wanted. They will now become offcuts for goody bags and I will show you those later this week.
At the moment this is lying with it's backing tacked in place, ready to be taken to the sewing machine. When it's complete, backed and titivated I will come back and show you with a quick video.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.xfoOAQBp.dpuf

1 comment:

Stitching Lady said...

Oh Karen, this is beautiful and very surprising - the red stripes. I love this creation.