For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, December 4, 2015

the ironing board






It isn't evident in this post, in those images but my ironing board is present on this piece of embroidered silk. Why? Well...why indeed....a long finished ledger referencing my domesticity just has to have an ironing board in it. I spend too big a part of my life at the ironing board. If you take note of the shape though it's ripe for a pocket or two isn't it? A sleeping bag even? That's how it found its way onto this silk piece which may well find its way onto a pocket.
Ironing board as a pocket? My brain is ticking for ''patched pockets''. I have planted the seed......
This ledger is from 2004....it still inspires. It's a certainty that these will also inspire in the future. How could they not? So gather, gather doodles, gather samples, gather those things which inspire you and make you want to pick up a needle and thread.

No comments: