For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, December 22, 2015

an embroidered ironing board






No, your eyes do not deceive you, it is an embroidered ironing board. It's this piece, you've seen it before. Today stitch has been added to the actual ironing board. I could say that this is finished now but it isn't. It's too narrow. I am going to extend this width ways, add another panel and yes...there will be ironing boards.
Everything is gearing up for the big day now. Shopping, wrapping, cleaning. I'm keeping on top of everything except the wrapping. I dislike wrapping and I swear it doesn't matter how much wrapping paper you buy....you always have to go out and buy more. I tried to finish it all yesterday, failed. Later today I will have one last push. Tonight I sew.....and soon it will be time for the plump jolly fellow to visit and all the wrapping will have been worth it.

1 comment:

Dolores said...

What a lovely ironing board cover. I've finished the baking but the house needs cleaning so that's next. Then the wrapping and hopefully, some sewing. No stress just my slow way of getting things done.