For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, December 20, 2015

all things silk and lace





Yesterday afternoon and playtime.....silk lace, metallic silk tissue, net...frothy cloth, unique surfaces and the beginning of plans for Patched Pockets and France. Creating this froth and these wonderful surfaces will form part of Patched Pockets. No prizes for guessing what will then happen? Pockets will be created, by hand, embellished, patched (of course) patched with these pieces and other cloth.. We will have pockets coming out of our ears.
As I'm sure you know...it's almost Christmas. The internet is mostly dead, quiet as a mouse, people making plans, stuffing turkeys and other things. Me? I'm organised!! Lol...yes...I know, what happened? There are only three of you reading my ramblings this week...thank you...you know who you are. Point is.....I'm going to keep going until THE day, until my sprouts need to go on. I need this place a lot more than it needs me. This is my record, my diary, my calendar....it keeps me on my toes....keeps me awake...if you're sticking with me...thanks...you're amazing!!

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Just lovely. :) I always enjoy seeing your work.