For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, November 28, 2015

can you spot a theme








Three pieces, one created some weeks ago, one created in the past two days and one created yesterday.  A theme is emerging, a repetition of process and placement. I can probably run with this for quite some time...a growing collection of samples, of pockets inspired by lace cloth, silk, embroidery and layering. 
Can you imagine pockets patched with lace? Hankies combined with scraps of silk and overlaid with lace? Embellishing silk with snippets of hankies? Overlaying those embroidered cloths with lace and transforming those embellished pieces into pockets?
I think I have just nailed down the theme for my new class.
Last night, the embroidery, I doodled, can you tell? That piece is more colourful. It works. At least I think so.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Very pretty! I love seeing what flows from your creative mind. :)