For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, November 26, 2015

Beavering away.....






Samples, class work, gingham, lace, pink, lace cloth....it's s proper hive of activity here. I now have so many of these sheets. When class finishes in a couple of weeks I will endeavour to photograph them all for you. Aside from the finished sheets I have stacks of samples which still need to be mounted, I could soon be swamped, buried under a pile of pink. That wouldn't be a bad thing I'm sure.
Meanwhile, along with pink and lace I'm playing with hankies in the background, seeing hankies as patches and patches as pockets ready for the new class. Maybe even pockets made from patches..... a little like these....


Happy thanksgiving to all of you who are celebrating today!!!
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.agbz5ppC.dpuf

No comments: