For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, May 6, 2012

surfaces and seams....




More work on white, surfaces and seams. French knots, bullion knots, edges of lace not caught down but left free giving little glimpses into what's below. Covering beautifully embroidered vintage cloth with hand stitch but leaving areas untouched.....
This morning I was on window boxes. I much prefer to embroider. I have to say that I detest gardening. Please don't hate me it's part of who I am. I love flowers, the clean kind, the no mess kind, in a vase, from a shop....
extending two is now in big cartel.....we shall see.

11 comments:

Tatkis said...

Adorable white creation!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Iceni UK said...

absolutely exquisite.......

deanna7trees said...

those spinning wheels have captured my ongoing interest.

Unknown said...

Unbelievable. You are the Master. Those knots are marvelous. I would love to take a class with you. Opps. I already have. Three of them actually. Get your hands out of the dirt and go back to sewing...

Elizabeth said...

You know how to create an interesting surface!!!!

Enjoy your sunday evening with your flowers in a vase. :))

Jane said...

beautiful

Flaming Nora said...

Sending you a bit of Sunday randomness.
This piece looks like the view from the window of an airplane flying over the kent countryside (not mountainous to be Lancashire) in the snow. Really you know its right, there is a lovely orchard right down the middle, as well as some gnarly old hedgerows between the fields.

stitchinglife said...

Gardening is just another kind of stitching, I always think. I like the look of your shop, by the way.

Gayle said...

These are quite remarkable. It's always such a pleasure to see your creations.

Rachel said...

I think I'm with you on gardening!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm no gardener either - like the results but hate the process AND the weeding! Exquisite work - especially am in like with those stitched wheels.