For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, March 23, 2012

ruched




Lovely white, soft, embellished silk dupion, be still my beating heart. Love it, love it, love it....OK Karen, get over it! Seriously though...silk is my favourite cloth ever...and with added lace made by ''moi'' along with a few stitches I could gaze all day. But I have other things to do....it's the weekend, not really much of a difference for me to be honest in terms of how I spend my time except that on Fridays I get to hand over shed loads of money to the supermarket (boooooo) and I get to listen to and watch some football...(I actually love football. I put it down to having three brothers and no sisters)...aside from that I have samples to collate, to photograph to make decisions about. Now that really is exciting.....

13 comments:

Jane said...

I do love your lace. I need a little more practise

deanna7trees said...

oh dear...what to try first. planting is my first priority this afternoon and then on to stitching.

Lindsey said...

Hi, lovely pieces. How do you make lace? Is it a form of embroidery?

Jensters said...

I love your work Karen and the crispness of the photos capture them so well....thanks for leaving a comment on my blog much appreciated.

Elizabeth said...

Glad you are just as excited about your silk with lace as I am with my jeans. I think it is fantastic that you too can be totally taken in by it, it is a grand feeling.

Enjoy yourself with silk and lace while making samples.

sharon young said...

I know what you mean about dupion I love it to work on, my friend gave me a big bag of different colours and I use it for almost everythng.
Love the lace, is it worked on scrim?

Rachel said...

Ruches - and did I see some pintucks too?

stitchinglife said...

My favourite thing about silk is the sound it makes. Enjoy your weekend.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Ahhhhh, silk dupioni - the absolute best fabric! I just plain like to fondle it.

Tammie Lee said...

oh yes, be still my heart!

Robyn A said...

Oh I am with you, Karen, silk is the most gorgeous fabric in the world, I absolutely love it. I have been fascinated with all your samples, they are so beautiful that it is taking all my willpower not to sign up for something I know I will not have time for! Maybe later in the year after Jude's class is over.

Barbara said...

I could gaze at your work all day....any day, it's so gorgeous :)

Barbara
x

connie said...

Hi Karen...:-) missed you! I lost my dashboard when I rearanged my blog so I have been absent. My daughter helped me find it again! I too love silk. I just love the sheen worth the lace! Hope all is well! Looking good!