For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, October 13, 2011

in my hoop and on my table...




I am still contemplating but productively. Whilst the brain is ticking the fingers are working on toe wrap two...making progress on this. I am realising how delightful it can be to have colour and brightness in your work after weeks of white. That isn't intended as a negative towards white, merely a recognition of the benefits of colour. I think I may just concentrate on this for now, no new major projects yet. I am going away on holiday in early November and may plan something new and large whilst I am away. 
For now, this will be enough...along with my mini class.

14 comments:

Tatkis said...

Beautiful fabric combination!

Hugs,
Tatyana

deanna7trees said...

I love color.

Mosaic Magpie said...

That brilliant white background is there, playing with those bright colors. I think what I like most about your work is the use of white. Where there is color here, it the white background that captivates me. It gives your work such a polished crisp feel, even though the stitches add such softness and texture.
Deb

connie said...

I love this toe wrap. Your toes are going to be so happy to hang out under this. :-)

Anonymous said...

A change is as good as a rest, they say...

Miriam Weaver said...

A little colour in your life is always good! Are you off to anywhere nice and warm? If you are can I come? I'll carry my own bags!

Elizabeth said...

The pictures are so gorgeous with that rich cloth and I love your hoop.

Linda Carole Bloom said...

I don't know what I like best the white, or the sparks of color. I love your toe wrap. You use the color so creatively - the white is still the star and the pops of color emphasize the whiteness. That make sense?? Have a great rest of the week. Love, Linda

Flaming Nora said...

The iced gems set it off perfectly!

Suztats said...

Gorgeous! sigh.

Montreat Designs said...

Karen, loving the cheerful beauty!

Jane said...

It really makes an impact after all the white.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The little red dots on the loops are SO cute! I like the little touches of blue too.

Gayle said...

Very sweet...very beautiful!