For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, April 24, 2011

you sick of it yet?


Even though I was only here on friday it feels like weeks....I have had my head down working hard. I have cleaned, shopped and stitched my way through thirty six hours and I can't believe it is sunday!! It's all good though, my house is spotless ready for me going away on tuesday, there is food in the fridge for my son so he won't starve and I have finished this order...phew! I have also made good progress with my other piece, as yet not damp stretched but almost finished embroidery wise. Gifts are bought for my little girl too and wrapped in pink with ribbons...!!
This week I have been temporary admin for a facebook group, Team Handmade U.K. It has been an experience and I hope I did a good job. It's suprising how all the little things that need to be done mount up, liking comments, welcoming new members...let's just say that if it had been the 'real'' world my kettle would have been on non stop!! I have also been on a mission this week to get more traffric to the shop, someone commented on my facebook that they didn't understand how I could part with any of my work...if only they could see the pile that goes unsold they would understand...
So that's my week, hectic yet productive. Blogging less helps with embroidery progress yet I hardly come near the computer on the blog free days which leaves me feeling a little ''out of the loop'' so to speak. On balance though I think it's better to get more embroidery done so I take satisfaction from that. On sunday nights I always listen to the Northern Soul and Motown section on the radio, I love it. Tonight whilst I listen and maybe wiggle my behind a bit I will also be blog hopping and commenting. Tuesday I travel...see you on friday and be good whilst I'm gone!!
p.s. the title definitely doesn't refer to the wedding (see comments)!!! I am sooooo excited about that, will be glued to it!!

16 comments:

Jane said...

Could never get sick of these, they are delightful.
Have a great time with your little girl

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

re: the post title, if you are referring to what I think you are, yes...and I don't even own a TV :)
I do wish them well. They are both adults and not starry eyed kids which should help
Sharyn

connie said...

We will never get sick of these!!! Sounds like things are going very well with you!!! Congratulations on getting everything done! Have a great time with your daughter!!!

mary k said...

All eyes are focused on the big events In the UK. Exciting times!
As for your pictures, I never get tired of seeing your beautiful work. I especially love the blue and white. Have a wonderful time in London.

Lois Evensen said...

No, never sick of it! :)

And, regarding "the" wedding, I am sure there are plenty of us looking forward to seeing and hearing about it.

Have a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Lois

Elizabeth said...

Now you are leaving and I'm back in Denmark again. No, I never get sick of looking at your beautiful embroidery with the delft blue. I think if looks fantastic.
You had a very busy week with managing the facebook group and getting traffic to your shop. Hope everything worked out the way you wanted.
Have a great time with your girl at her birthdayparty and I'll catch you later with a million stories to tell.

Have fun.

Jan said...

How can we ever get tired of looking at the master pieces you produce ,have fun with your daughter ..love Jan xx PS I posted again !http://serendipitylives-jan.blogspot.com

Carol Q said...

no - never get sick of these... and anyway... what wedding? lol. i have a permanent battle between computer time and crafting time. Im often crafting and end up finding myself in front of the computer. doesn't help that they're in the same room. enjoy your trip Karen.

Tammie Lee said...

so beautiful
your inspire with how much you get done, my wee cabin is never spotless. Have a wonderful time away!

Unknown said...

Karen, I will never, ever get sick of your work. HONEST.As for the upcoming events on Friday, aside from Helen's birthday, I plan on going to a friend's house early and we will watch the events together, just as I did how many years ago? Only then I was much younger and (still) dreamed of a wedding of my own with all of the glory and romance...truly, I did! :)

Joanna said...

Have a great time. Loving the blue and white and it looks like your having plenty of sun to take the photos, not bad for the North West

Anonymous said...

You have been busy, haven't you!
Have a good week.

Suztats said...

Have a wonderful time!

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Wow, it makes me tired just reading about your week! Have a lovely time! I'm so excited about the wedding too (as long as everyone is talking about it). I'm going to get up at 5 a.m. (EST) on Friday to watch - and I don't get up early for anything! Love, Linda

Victoria said...

Just the opposite of getting sick... your work is always delightful tonic for the soul!

Have a happy trip!

Yvonne Moxon said...

Beautiful, I could never get sick of it, and if your looking to off load that pile ...send it my way please! :)