For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, March 4, 2011

white silk and hooks and eyes....

Do you remember these?? Initially due in february then moved to april? Well, it's now march so me thinks I should maybe get them finished don't you? They are damp stretched and hanging carefully in a place where they should come to no harm. I now need to make the backs and the linings and then finish the construction by sewing them all together. The backs involve very little, (probably none,)  hand embroidery but a lot of hooks and eyes.

There are two of these, now I wonder should there be three? I think that decision will wait until these two are finished.
Today, so far, has been hectic. Lots of photographs have been taken of books, I have had my hair cut and I have edited photos too. I still have photos to edit (more books) and then I must clean, clean and clean some more.  Tonight my little girl comes home......Tomorrow is my guest spot, tomorrow will be a book post here and a toe wrap post there. Let's hope I get it the right way round in the morning....or maybe the afternoon depending on when I drag myself out of bed.
p.s. if I owe you an e mail please bear with me...I hope to set aside an hour for that this evening before Helen gets here. I haven't forgotten you honest!

14 comments:

Joei Rhode Island said...

Don't get yourself all in a tizzy ... enjoy your visit with Helen. Life is a process, not an accomplishment.

Lois Evensen said...

Relax about emails and other such things. You have Helen coming! :))

Hugs,
Lois

Elizabeth said...

I'm in love.

(with your work)

Have a splendid weekend with Helen and the rest of the brady bunch.

Claire said...

hi, i found you from your comment on jill's daughter's blog (art for arts sake??)...
i just wanted to say hello, and i agree with your advice of copying favourite artists - i've just posted a van gogh landscape attempt....
btw your embroidery is exquisite :)

Tammie Lee said...

wow! Gorgeous!
also I look forward to your book post.

Storycloth said...

Karen this is so interesting with the hooks and eyes! I will be thinking of you enjoying precious time with your daughter. Gilly

Jan said...

I do remember the hooks and eyes ,well I would Im a fan ,those peices look lovely, intriguing though Im sure all will be revealed in due course ,gosh you have masses to do ,Just enjoy some Mum/ Daughter time, every thing else will still be there for later ...have a lovely weekend ,..love Jan xx

Miriam Weaver said...

Have a lovely time with your daughter.

Ingrid said...

how can I forget:-) dont worry about e-mails, enjoy your time with Helen

Sheeprustler said...

This makes me think of a corset for a wedding night :)

Have a gorgeous time with your daughter :)

JP said...

have a great weekend Karen - i would love 1 of your little books -

Anonymous said...

The textures of these pieces are really gorgeous!

Hoola Tallulah said...

Goodness, all this white, you do white so well, it is so peaceful and serene and makes me wish I could show a little restraint in my own work, it seems so in your face and loud in comparison (and not nearly as skilled!). Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, I always leave your blog feeling very inspired <3

sylviesgarden said...

They are stunning, the detail is amazing!
x