For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, November 5, 2010

pretty.....

Well here it is, or should I say they are, anyway, the end result of my titivating from last time. Pin pillows and don't ask why I'm calling them pin pillows as opposed to pin cushions, haven't got a clue but as that's what I called them on facebook and flickr I guess I should keep the theme going over here. They are now in the shop along with many more images so pop over there if you want to see more but if you don't then that's o.k. too!! I must say that I am more than a little pleased with these and am thinking about making some more for christmas gifts. They really are the cutest and I don't normally do ''cute'' so I am making the most of it whilst it happens!!







I am not going to hang around chatting for long today. I am feeling a little time pressured. I have been out, yes out, most of the day and I have visitors coming sunday, more of that in a minute!! In the meantime I have zillions of e-mails to answer and then there is the small matter of packaging wedding favours individually so I shall have to stuff them in some old paper bags at some point if I can get my hands on any old paper bags that is. No, I'm only kidding, I have bags and ribbons but that is a task that needs doing pronto. Now for sunday...baby Lydia is coming to see me. Unfortunately she has to bring daddy, can't come on her own but I am going to take pics and if daddy says it's o.k. I will show you. That means that Lydia will be the first person to ever appear on here!! I am excited, she is probably underwhelmed...

22 comments:

Gina said...

They are adorable and unique! Love them!

Jan said...

Oh YES! , well worth waiting for Delightful...love Jan xx

Helena said...

I agree! They are really pretty!!!

Jane said...

They are gorgeous. Pin pillows is a good name

cottonreel said...

Very pretty and original--cottonreel

Lois Evensen said...

just darling little pin pillows. :))

Elizabeth said...

They are CUTE. I mean VERY CUTE!!!!

Have a great sunday with Lydia and I'll see you soon.

xoxo e.

Anonymous said...

Delightful, delicate and charming!

Kate said...

Oh I utterly love your beautiful pin pillows!!

Kate x

sylviesgarden said...

Pretty indeed! They're blooming gorgeous.
Enjoy your time with Lydia, I can't wait to see her.
x

Victoria said...

adore, adore, adore... and the name "pin pillows" is perfect!

Tammie Lee said...

the most charming cushions I have ever seen!

Dolores said...

Awwww, they are adorable.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Pretty is the EXACT word to describe these (along with a whole lot of other really nice words!). Pin pillows is a lovely name for them too.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Very pretty! Good luck with your pin pillows!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, and cute - but in a whimsical way, not a saccharine way. I love them.

Jackie said...

I can't wait to see Lydia....is she a relative..or is there something you're not telling?

jennyflowerblue said...

They are very lovely! I think paper bags would be fine- perhaps you could sellotape them - or use gaffer tape? It'll all give you extra baby snuggling time. xx

vintagerockchick said...

They are lovely - can never have too much gingham! You are so enthusiastic - I'm tempted to dash away and make a rouleau or two.

deanna7trees said...

oh those pin pillows are the cutest things I've ever seen. just got back from Houston and have a picture to show you (re: silk scrim) as soon as I get settled and unpacked.

jill said...

These pillows are gorgeous, I am so glad we give each other pressies, I never ask but now i am, the only problem is what to make for you

Gina said...

Very cute Karen... love them!