For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, November 1, 2010

gingham....

I told you I was now addicted to rouleau loops. More tubes, right way out, ready to be snipped to the right length and used to adorn more gingham! At the moment they are merely laid on the latest section of my throw. This isn't what they are for though. I have a plan that will mean this afternoon will be spent cutting up more gingham and tucking these little beauties along various edges. There may also be some prairie points going on, I haven't decided yet.

There hasn't been much added to my throw since last time, just these little hearts on stalks. They are so effective and I love doing them, the squares are already there for the cross stitch, that was handy!!


I'm not sure where the time has gone this weekend, apart from my failed sample on silk scrim and these little hearts I haven't really got very far. The tubes don't take very long so I can't blame them but then again I have been out!! Yes, twice! On saturday I went to the football and this morning I have been to the supermarket and parted with too much money. If we didn't eat we would be millionaires! ( we won't count the yard of gingham I stopped off to buy in todays budget, that's our little secret!!)
and don't forget to leave a comment on the last post if a measly little scrap of silk scrim is on your wish list!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really gorgeous edging stitch in the last photo, Karen - what is it?

deanna7trees said...

the hearts on stalks look beautiful on your throw. I love turning tubes of fabric, especially with cording down the middle. your gingham looks like it has lots of lovely texture--not the gingham I'm used to seeing.

Elizabeth said...

Yes, food is very expensive but it lured you out of the house and gave you as a bonus some new gingham!!!!

Have fun tonight and who knows your fantasy may come true, haha.

sylviesgarden said...

I'm rapidly running out of words to describe your work. It's beautiful again!
You appear to be having a bit more sunlight than we are having at the mo.
x

Jane said...

I could quite easily spend the food money on something else, but the boys would make too much noise complaining.
The embroidered gingham is going to cheer many a dark evening, so uplifting

Heartwideopen said...

Ooohhh, I love your prairie points!!! Can't wait to see. I love the cross stitch hearts... they stole my heart! And someone mentioned that edging stitch you did on the last photo... it's gorgeous. Looks almost like crochet.

;~) Debi

Dolores said...

You must love working on this. The colours are just to bright and happy looking.

Ingrid said...

I also love that stitch what is it?I agree, imagine all the fabric we could buy if we didnt eat!!:-)

Anonymous said...

Looking lovely! Now that I'm a wordpress person, I have to rely on the horror that is googlereader for other-peoples-blog updates - and yours doesn't appear to be on the list, so now I'm relying on facebook to tell me when you have a new post. I apologise if I miss some! :-)

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Karen, I love the cross stitch hearts they are so pretty and your fabric tubes are great, love the colors. Hugs judy

Perpetua said...

I had the same kind of weekend--I had all these plans to get stuff done, and then woosh! I had just attended to a lot of laundry and errands and duties that had nothing to to do with The Real Work. Doesn't it kill you? Well your projects are looking good! My computer has been at the Apple Hospital, so I am playing catch up tonight..

Magpie's Mumblings said...

For one of my birthdays when I was a little girl my grandparents wanted to get me a gingham dress. They couldn't agree on which colour to get so I ended up with TWO - a pink and a blue. Wish I had that fabric now!!

Lois Evensen said...

Gingham is so happy, isn't it. With your embroidery on it, it is even happier. Very cool.

Jacky said...

The gingham with the cross stitch is just beautiful. I am loving this little throw...how nice to be making it for yourself.

Jacky xox

Storycloth said...

So, so very pretty. Reminds me of my Nana and scones, jam and cream. Beautiful work. Gilly

John'aLee said...

Wow! I didn't know gingham could look so great!!

Claire Gale said...

ah gorgeous, such fresh colours. love your work x