For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Two more!!!

I am liking this holiday business!! Two more dolls finished and in the shop. These two little ladies are a tiny bit cheaper because they are smaller than the others, no less lovely though. Just a note on the images here. It has been so dark today, almost like night time so I wondered if a halogen bulb would help. Husband was duly despatched to buy one and this is the result. I don't think they are the best but trust me, they are better than I could have hoped to get in today's light. The first doll has the vintage lace edge, a very quick way to get a delicate and nostalgic finish. She also has a pretty lace cap, you can see it better in the second picture.
The second doll will be completely new to you, I haven't uploaded any of her ''in progress'' images. She has the old reliable, cutwork, with vintage cloth peeping through. I had so many ideas for the edge of her dress but had to restrain myself because if she got too complicated and time consuming I would have to price her higher. I do think that simple blanket stitch is right for her though, I think this one is a simple country girl and if she had too fancy an edge to her dress it would only get muddy and can you see the flowers in her hair?

So that is how I have been frittering away my time, very decadent with my holidays, loving every minute of it! Can you believe there is another doll in the making, very, very different, not a flower in sight. I hope she will appeal to someone out there. I am off ''up north'' family visiting in the morning, only for the day though so not much time away from my needle thankfully.
Remember Jamie??? Well Jamie got in touch today.........could he please buy an embroidery hoop off me!!!!!!! A convert!!! I am gifting him a hoop, I'm so excited! Nice one Jamie!

7 comments:

Katy Swift said...

Another convert!! You're plan to take over the world progresses.

Love the dolls. The one we've seen in progress looks beautiful - makes me think of lavender fields. I really like the blanket stitch of the second. A really neat way of finishing.

Can I pick your sewing brains? Can damp stretching be done after individual steps and therefore a couple of times when making a piece, or can it be only done once? Does it affect the overall result?

Have fun with the rellies x

Jackie said...

Gorgeous. You have even enarly converted me. There's an old half finished tablecloth awaiting my attention. But its so lovely I couldn't bear to cut it up. I might just have a go at finishing it.

méri said...

I just love those flowers in her hair!!!
Enjoy your family visiting.

Dolores said...

Oh my, it sounds as if there is a future of stitching for Jamie. I hope that doesn't mean that you'll be having some competition.
Love the little dolls and all the special little touches you add.

Swirlyarts said...

Beautiful!

Jane said...

So glad you are enjoying the holidays. Two lovely additions to the doll family, the blanket stitch edging is beautiful. Enjoy your family day

jennyflowerblue said...

Loving the two new dolls! I'm also very intrigued by the one in progress- talk about a cliff-hanger! Enjoy your time away and good work with Jamie! x