For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Number four

Doll number four is underway. She will be my ''scruffy'' doll, all patched up yet very adorable. I have appliqued (properly) some larger squares of vintage cloth, others are merely stitched down with a raw edge. I have an idea already for ''the edge of her dress'' and hope to be working on that as soon as. You will probably have noticed that once again I have taken the obligatory folded pictures....what is it about folding cloth...it's so addictive! To be honest I had to fold, there is still a lot of white on this piece, it needs further embellishment before it is finished.




I damp stretch my work at every stage, so for example, once the applique is done this piece is damp stretched before the rest of the embroidery goes on. Well that's how it should be. However.........if you look bottom left on this picture below you will see two little cross stitch flowers, I couldn't restrain myself, I had to try them! So based on this ''naughty'' sampling I am going to finsh this little lady with more of these.
Well it's wednesday already. I have to admit the weeks do go by quickly yet I still feel I don't get enough of MY stuff done in the evenings, I feel so frustrated. I have a weeks holiday soon and intend to make the most of it, lots of stuff for the Makey Do will be made that won't go in the shop until I come back from there. I would love to finish this doll before next week, finish my commission and then concentrate purely on things for July, at least that's the plan, fingers crosssed!

12 comments:

hens teeth said...

Hello Karen,
Boy it is so frustrating when you have so many ideas and not enough time. I can sense your excitement aswell as frustration.
Your work, as ever, is perfect. I hope you can achieve your goals.

Elizabeth said...

This is gonna be a gorgeous doll, have to be. No doubt in my mind. Your work surprises me over and over again.

Jane said...

She is going to be really pretty, the squares are lovely and the flowers will be a wondeful addition

Gayle said...

I am amazed by your creativity...always taking it to the next level. :-)

Katy Swift said...

OMG! I spend a couple of weeks sorting out Uni stuff, turn back and look at all the lovely things I've missed. That'll teach me. Promise to try and be better in future.

Love the emergence of hot colours within this batch of sewing - reallly exciting.

In answer to your question (sorry forgot I STILL haven't told you) I'm going to Bucks Uni. Still excited.

Gina said...

Such beautiful glimpses of intriguing folds and delightful colours. I love your photographs Karen.

Diane Cransac said...

The embroidery is looking great. I cant wait to see her finished, I'm sure she will be quite sweet :) Really like those raw edges. I so understand your frustrations with having enough time to work...I have more time than you do and I still get frustrated.

méri said...

That doll will be a beauty, Karen.
Your work has always little details which are your signature. Just beautiful!

Miriam said...

Haha, aaaw! Recognize the what-i-want-to-do and what-was-done problem! The day should have more hours!;)

I'm not shure what to say about the embroidery. It's so neatly done that it makes me speechless! :D

Robin Olsen said...

I am laughing at your version of scruffy. These are beautiful, meticulous and far from anything I'd call "scruffy." I guess it's all relative.

meplusmolly said...

Hello!

Unfortunately I saw your comment too late to try and spy your friend at the open houses :( fab weekend though.

Your work as always is so beautiful, so much detail and care within each piece ;0 x

tired of smiling said...

I've been wanting to ask for a while about damp stretching. You mention it only in about every second post..... is there a tutorial or more information on it somewhere... you've got me curious!