For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, December 7, 2008

Another gift!

This is another little peek at a gift I have made for someone who shall remain nameless. You know I will be so happy when all the secrets are finished, it's quite a task remembering what I can or can't say/show. I did intend to show you a full view of the piece I made with silk muslin, the one with cutwork but I can't find the image!! Really frustrating!! I must have deleted it by accident and it's nowhere to be found. The piece is now in the hands of it's owner so I can't take any more pics, I could kick myself!
This piece is quite small, I have edged it with eyes from a set of hooks and eyes then added some stitched paper which I have also tied to the cloth with simple little hand tied knots.






The text I have used comes, as ever, from my research. When I carried out this research, about two years ago, I hoped it would inform my work for a long time and it has. I think it will probably inform my work for ever. Is that a sign of good research? or the sign of a stagnant mind and an inability to move your work forward?........answers on a postcard please.................!!!













The last few days have been mad, chaotic, frantic, wonderful and amazing chez moi. I have been to work, no it didn't snow enough...BOO!! been to London, driven home at 2 a.m. spent time with brilliant people, received fantastic gifts and good wishes from people to whom I can't say thankyou enough and I have also been truly humbled by the knidness of those who don't 'really' know me. I will share my gifts in another post but I must say thankyou to Nicola, Jude, Ulla, Camilla and Kaija. E-mails are coming I promise and Kaija, what a day, you are one amazing lady!






9 comments:

Gina said...

I love the text in your work Karen - perhaps because I like to use text too.

jude said...

things that last forever are amazing things, a piece that fits every puzzle....
i love the edge work on this one. fabulous.
happy to know you r home safe.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

I love how practical things like the hooks become decorative, beautiful work Karen.
Glad you had a great time in London.x

Katy Swift said...

Karen yet more beautiful work!!!.

Kayla is right, I've never considered hooks to look so decorative and yet you have proven how interesting abd decorative they can beocme.

As for the stagnant mind remark - not at all. If it still inspires you and you still make it lokk fresh (and you do) then I thik it's a fab thing.

Gayle said...

Love the text, especially in the beautiful blue. I enjoyed catching up on your posts tonight. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gina's piece is beautiful!! Your work continues to amaze me...it was so nice to get your email - I haven't stopped by for a while so I loved hearing from you to give me a reminder...it was like taking a mini vacation to see everything you've been working on...truly beautiful! Now I've got to get back to work...the clock is ticking loudly and NOTHING is finished! xo, Nan

Aussie Jo said...

Hi Karen,
I have come to you via Pin tangle. Your pieces are just beautiful and I love the colours and texture of this, so restrained.
Cheers

Maya Sara Matthew said...

love the use of text,very inspiring so I believe you aren't stagnating if you can inspire others.the use of the hooks are interesting too.

Jacky said...

Beautiful piece Karen. I love the text and those eyes without their hooks) get me every time. They add such interest and a contemporary twist.

The edging is wonderful. Is that the paper technique you use? The effect if so beautiful...