For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Well, here they are. Those ZIP things that caused so much trouble, all finished and put in the shop this morning. I suppose if I made lots and lots of these I would become an expert at zips, personally I prefer rouleau loops, complicated yet therepeutic as opposed to complicated and psychosis inducing. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Yes I do need to finish the hook and eye cloth but it has been so hot here these past few days, sweaty palms and pure silk is not an ideal combination. I do have a small commission to do so that is probably the way I am going to go for a couple of days.






I have also been making more of this........the paper I use to stitch on. There isn't really a specific project in mind here, it's more a case of having some to hand incase the need arises.



After I have completed my commission and the hook and eye cloth I will definitely be doing more of my white/text embroidery. What form it will take and what the finished product will be isn't decided yet, I just have this need to return to me and work that illustrates more closely who I am creatively.


On a totally different subject, I have a job interview next week!!! Yikes, a job interview, a proper, grown up, responsible job, oh dear....I'm scared. It is by no means certain that I will get it, I have been out of the job market for so long I am not even sure I can hold a conversation with a proper adult, (as opposed to a cyber adult). I do know though that I have a lot of studying to do between now and then, reading on the subject, updating myself on changes that have taken place in this sphere of employment, (this is me practicing adult speak for next week), I've got a headache already!!

Now a treat for you, the lovely Kaija of Paperiaarre is guest blogging on Poppytalk all this week Pop over and take a look.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

Love everything, and the paper embroidery is so cool!
Good luck with the job interview, (they scare me even more then zippers!)

Camilla said...

Wow- every single thing in this post is wonderful! I love the paper and the dreaded zips. Good luck with the interview!

Anonymous said...

All the best with the interview. We've really enjoyed seeing these pieces take shape. A real delight to come and look at

gunnelsvensson said...

I love the stitching on the paper, beutiful! And I think it´s very right to do what is you - the white embroidery that you love.

Good luck with the job interview! i

Ulla said...

I see you won the zipper battle! The next ones will be a lot easier. The machine stitching on paper looks great.
I wish you luck for the job interview, I can imagine how exciting it is.

Jesse said...

Good luck for the job interview! (Your adult speak sounds very convincing, so I'm sure you'll do fine.) The stitching on paper looks like such a lovely thing to do.

Ruby Hoppen said...

Gosh everything you touch turns to pure unadulterated beauty! I just love your work, it's so original- you're not afraid to be subtle.

marjo said...

I agree with ruby mae: beautiful and subtle.
Loved your aproach to color.