For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Promise is a Promise!

I promised you images of the progress of cloth eight on tuesday and I know it's late but a promise is a promise! I have had such a hectic day... I had to go into town this morning to run an errand which took so much longer than I expected. I had my hair cut after lunch, a real trauma! I kid you not, I absolutely loath and detest getting my hair cut. I have a phobia of the salon so have someone come to the house to do it, then the hair gets all over the floor, my husband works night shifts and sleeps through the day so I can't vaccuum until he gets up, I get a headache just thinking about it. When my son was a very little boy he cried every time he had his hair cut, all the way through the process, it must be my fault, I must have passed something to him subliminally in the womb. So now I have convinced myself I am a terrible mother, passing my wierd fears to my offspring.
Then, as if that wasn't enough, I have had soooooo much paperwork to do! The day did get better though. I have had friends come round bearing gifts, I am so excited, more of that later in the week.
Back to cloth eight, eventually.... It was gloriously damp stretched when I got up this morning.

I have taken it off the board and now need to apply the cotton tape with text to this piece. I have decided for the next section to pleat and use more cotton tape. That is going to take a while as I have to embroider text onto approximately 5 metres of tape, so don't hold your breath!


I hope you like how it's coming on. It was really difficult to get good images today, the sun couldn't make it's mind up, the colours are a lot brighter in 'real life'.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Of course I think it is lovely!

And for the record, I don't care to get my hair cut at salons either!