For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More Decisions

I have finished embroidering the text onto cotton tape and it is now damp stretched. Now I need to decide on placement, number of tape strips, which stitch to use to attach it to the applique panel, one that won't detract from the overall surface embellishment of the cloth.



Here I pinned two strips of tape to the applique. I have placed them in this position, where they cross at the bottom, as it reminds me of the borders you find on kitchen cloths. I think the long strip of tape on the left needs to move further left though. It had been my intention to apply the tape and then add more surface stitching to the whole piece. Looking at this though I now think I will apply the tape last, after all the surface embroidery is complete. The white of the tape is so refreshing and pure that I don't want it to be lost under a mass of embroidery. I also think it will 'make a statement' if the text is clearly visible and readable. This morning I am going to mark out my design for the embroidery, on the reverse in tailors chalk.




If you look at this last picture you can see the difference in the applique after damp stretching. In the images from my last post the petals look less raised and less 'finished'. They look so much nicer now!

3 comments:

Camilla said...

I really am loving this piece-and it's amazing the difference the damp stretching makes to the petals, they look somehow neater and smarter now (not that they were messy before!)

Victoria said...

Beautiful!

I am also so amazed at how fast this seems to be progressing. You are amazing!

arlee said...

This is the first time i have ever been taken by white on white---your mastery is awe inspiring and i look forward to reading and seeing more of your art. Breath takingly beautiful.