For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Happy, Happy, Happy!!

As you can probably tell I am really happy today. All the card templates are removed from the back of my hexagons, that section of my cloth is now finished, all that remains is to back this piece, attach it to my other piece and hey presto, my new cloth will be ready to put in the shop! This should happen either tomorrow or thursday, you will be the first to know!
Because I am so happy I have decided to have a little sale in the shop. If you enter the word 'hexagon' (could it really be anything else!) at the bottom of your order in the message to seller section I will knock 20% off the price. I will keep this offer open until 14th may, on items which were listed before today.




I have been on a folding mission again! I love the way embellished silk looks when it is folded, it's so soft, and I also love the distortion it gives to the surface stitching. When I finish a piece of embroidery like this I am always really overwhelmed by how lovely I think it is. I never get used to it, take it for granted, become blase. I hope I never do because I know that would take something away from each piece. I am sure it is much nicer to create something you love than something you can set aside without a thought.



And once again, my brain has been working overtime, always one step ahead on the next piece. I have a new obsession, cotton tape. After embroidering onto it for the latest piece I have been sampling applying text to some wider tape. I have shelved the transfer hexagon idea for the time being, I would much prefer to do that with blue transfers and I am finding it hard to source them at the moment. This text on cotton tape however is definitely a winner.





2 comments:

Ulla said...

You really have been busy! And the cotton tape with writing embroidered looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I have a pile of blue iron on transfers (on paper rather than tissue). would you like some?