For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, May 26, 2008

Diverted Yet Again!!

I know I am making a habit of this but please bear with me. I have a house full this week and it is really difficult to work on large pieces, (wrapping cloths) when you are vying for room with your offspring and all their related ephemera! Following on from the amazing response I have had to the little piece I made for Ulla, both here and on flickr, I decided that as these were small pieces, easy to pick up, that don't necessitate my taking over the whole house, I would play with them some more. It really is a pleasure to make these little things, and have you noticed, more of the dreaded colour!! I think I am overcoming my fear........ Well anyway, two of these have gone in the shop today and I may have more tomorrow.








I want to thank everyone who wished me a happy birthday, ta very much, and I received a lovely present from Gunnel in the form of an award. Thanks Gunnel!! As you know though, it will take me forever to pass this on so don't think I have forgotten about it, I am just deciding.
I have big plans for the rest of today, unfortunately these are in the form of housework. I can't put it off any longer...I will have environmental health round slapping a condemned order on me!


No comments: